The African Studies Center recognizes that international African students studying at Michigan State University (MSU) have limited opportunities to apply for grants and fellowships to conduct research in Africa – usually reserved for citizens and permanent residents of the United States.
The award honors former Nigerian President Nnamdi Azikiwe, a scholar and politician, who led Nigeria as its first civilian president and who invited MSU faculty to join him and other Nigerians to build a land-grant model university in Eastern Nigeria. This became the University of Nigeria at Nsukka, had a distinguished educational history, and was the beginnings of the MSU African Studies faculty, now approximately 100 scholars spanning many colleges and departments.
Aim and Benefits of MSU Nnamdi Azikiwe International African Student Fellowship
- One or more fellowships of up to $ 2,000 will be awarded for travel and/or fieldwork expenses in Africa. Funds are meant to defray costs, students are expected to find additional funds if costs are to exceed granted amount.
Requirements for MSU Nnamdi Azikiwe International African Student Fellowship Qualification
- Only African undergraduate or graduate students conducting research in Africa are eligible for this fellowship.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in an MSU degree-granting programme, and awardees must return to MSU as registered students in the semester following the award.
- Priority will be given to students in good academic standing and with demonstrated financial need.
- Applicants must successfully complete any MSU requirements related to doing research abroad (IRB training for instance).
- Fellowship recipients must write and submit a report (3 to 5 pages) to the African Studies Center within one month of their return from Africa.
Documents Required for Application
- Curriculum vitae or Resume
- Cover letter
October 30, 2022
How to Apply
The fellowship programme is administered by the African Studies Center. The selection of winners is determined by an African Studies Award Selection Committee with members appointed by the Center Director.
For more details,visit MSU website